The use of lasers has revolutionized modern dentistry, including endodontics. Dr. Kanter’s office is equipped with a range of state-of-the-art laser devices, which use different wavelengths and mediums. Lasers are both more precise and less invasive than traditional surgical technologies, producing better results and faster healing times. Dr Kanter uses revolutionary laser techniques called PIPS & SWEEPS. Her Lightwalker Er:YAG laser by Fotona has the capability to completely clean out the inside of the tooth. Photo Activated Systems Technology, or PHAST™, is the scientific foundation for the LightWalker Er:YAG and the basis for PIPS™ as well as other advanced clinical laser procedures.
The LightWalker Er:YAG endodontic laser treatment goes beyond just cleaning the primary canals; it can also three-dimensionally remove the smear layer and debride in and around the lateral canals.
- What are the benefits of using lasers after endodontic treatment or surgery?
- How can lasers be used to treat cold sores or canker sores?
- Can lasers reduce tooth sensitivity?
- Can laser treatment change the color of my gums?
- What is PIPS™(Photon Induced Photoacoustic Streaming) Laser Endo?
- How Does PIPS™Laser Endo Work?
- What Makes The LightWalker Laser Endo and PHAST™ ideal?
Common Questions about Laser Endodontics
What are the benefits of using lasers after endodontic treatment or surgery?
Dr. Kanter’s office is also equipped with gentle “low intensity” laser devices that decrease pain, reduce inflammation, and increase stem cell growth, improving wound healing processes and giving the patient a more comfortable post-surgery experience without overuse of antibiotics and other medications.
How can lasers be used to treat cold sores or canker sores?
Cold sores (also known as fever blisters) are groups of small blisters on the lip and around the mouth that are caused by the herpes simplex virus. They recur periodically because the virus stays in your body forever once you have it.
A canker sore is a shallow, painful ulcer in the mouth that can occur as a result of stress, disease, or some injury to the soft tissue of your mouth. Cold sores and canker sores can be extremely painful and can make speaking and eating very uncomfortable.
Laser therapy is a proven way to heal these sores quickly. If you schedule a laser treatment at the very first tingle signalling that a cold sore or canker sore is about to erupt, you can even prevent it from breaking out. If you already have a sore, the laser will take away the discomfort and help it to dry up and heal much faster. Laser therapy for cold sores and canker sores is effective, inexpensive, and often covered by insurance.
Can lasers reduce tooth sensitivity?
When you have sensitive teeth, activities like eating and drinking can cause sharp, temporary pain in your teeth. Usually, tooth sensitivity is the result of worn tooth enamel or exposed tooth roots. However, tooth discomfort can also be caused by cavities, a cracked or chipped tooth, or a recently placed filling. Dr. Kanter can examine your teeth and recommend the best course of action to make your teeth comfortable again. Laser treatment is a clinically-proven way to reduce tooth sensitivity immediately, with no anesthesia needed. In many cases, a short laser treatment can diminish or eliminate that source of discomfort for a couple of years. In many cases, your dental insurance will cover laser therapy for tooth sensitivity.
Can laser treatment change the color of my gums?
Yes. Laser treatment is effective at lightening gum tissue. Some individuals have more melanin than others, causing a dark appearance in the gingival tissue around their teeth. Laser treatment can lighten these areas as well as areas stained by amalgam fillings.
What is PIPS™(Photon Induced Photoacoustic Streaming) Laser Endo?
(New patent in technology and procedure) is a revolutionary method for chemically cleaning and debriding the root canal system using Er:YAG laser energy at sub-ablative power levels and is only available with the LightWalker Er:YAG laser.
How Does PIPS™Laser Endo Work?
PIPS™ harnesses the power of the Er:YAG laser to create photoacoustic shock waves within the cleaning and debriding solutions introduced in the canal. The containment of the shockwaves thoroughly streams these solutions through the entire canal system, enhancing their effectiveness. The main and lateral canals are left clean and the dentinal tubules are free of smear layer and bacteria.
What Makes The LightWalker Laser Endo and PHAST™ ideal?
The LightWalker Er:YAG laser energy is uniquely suited for optimum performance of PIPS™ because:
- Er:YAG laser energy has the highest absorption rate in water compared to other Erbium lasers.
- The super short, 50 microsecond Square Pulse Technology available only on the digital LightWalker laser.
- Lowest possible energy per pulse (millijoules) and repetition rate (hertz), eliminating thermal effects while maximizing the propagation of the Photo Hydro Acoustic shock waves.
- Sub-ablative power levels reduces the risks of ledging and demineralization.
- Proprietary, optical photo-efficient laser endo tips.
- Minimally Invasive Biomimetic Endodontics: The Future is Here, Academy of General Dentistry
- Elimination of Intracanal Tissue and Debris, Adam Lloyd, Jonathan P. Uhles, David J. Clement, and Franklin Garcia-Godoy
- Lasers to Treat Tooth Sensitivity, Dentistry IQ
- Removing the Amalgam Tattoo with Laser, NCBI
- Laser Treatment for Dark Gums, NBCI
- SWEEPS® Photoacoustic Endodontics, The Power of ASP
- Laser-activated irrigation with PIPS®, Dr Ralf Schlichting, Germany
- Photon Induced Photoacoustic Streaming, PIPS®
- Fotona’s Unveils the Future of Dentistry at IDS, Fotona